Welcome to my photoblog!! Please feel free to browse around and leave some comments. You may also follow me. Thanks!



Wednesday, March 2, 2011

SPOTLIGHT-Water Drop Photography II

As promised, here is another Spotlight Feature showcasing my water drop photography...this time going way more in depth about how I do it.

Would you like to try high speed photography like this?
 Equipment I'm working with

Nikon D40
Kit Lens 18-55 mm
+4 Neewer Close Up Filter
One (1) Speedlight SB600
Tripod
Remote Shutter Release
One (1) Small Glass Fish Tank
Brightly Colored Paper
One (1) Bubble Headed Eye Dropper 
Settings on my camera:
Speedlight: 1/64 (for shortest flash duration) at 14 mm with flash bent at 90 degrees
Manual Focus and Settings on D40 gives you much more control over your photo
ISO Speed: 200 (lowest on the D40, but lower is ideal)
Shutter Speed: 10/5000 Second
Aperture: F9-F11
I really like using the glass fish tank because I can put different colored paper at just about any angle (including under the tank), I can also shoot from any angle. I can shoot from above the water, level with the water, or from under the water. As stated in the last SPOTLIGHT on my water drop photography, I have also shot in a white tub, or a black tub. I also like using an eye dropper with a bubble at the top cause I have found that gives me a little more control over the water drops and how fast or how many come out at a time. I have also used a sandwich bag filled with water and a hole pricked in one of the corners. There are Drip Kits out there to take it to the next level (just Google it). Water drop photography is really all about experimentation and learning as you go. And most of all have fun with it.
I am really working with the bare DIY material for water drop photography. You can really take it up a notch by adding more Speedlights and other things. And as always...read your tutorials and you will learn something new everyday!
 Post Processing
I use Photoshop CS3
Minor Cropping
Some sharpening and noise reduction filters
Contrast and Brighten
Saturation Layer
Sometimes I play with Selective Colors too
If you are not familiar with Photoshop, but would like to learn how to use it, check here: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshoptutorialsbasic/Photoshop_Basics_Tutorials_for_Photoshop_Beginners.htm
That's about it!
Any questions? Feel free to comment with questions or tips of your own!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment